Advanced Material Research Lab
About The Lab
Material Science is one of the signatures thrust areas of research at Rabindranath Tagore University. For the execution of research in this area, ‘Advanced Material Research Lab’ has been established. The Lab is well equipped with several modern instruments for the synthesis of materials, such as Magnetic Stirrer, Hot Plate, Heating Mantle, Rota Mantle, Autoclave, Table Top Hydraulic Press, Vertical Furnace, High Temperature Rectangular Muffle Furnace for annealing the sample at air atmosphere and Tubular Furnace attached with H2(5%)/N2 (95%) cylinder, for annealing of the sample at high temperature under reducing atmosphere. For the measurement of Photoluminescence Emission Spectra of solid sample, one Spectrometer from ‘Ocean Optics’ is also provided in the lab.
Vision Mission & Scientific Aims of AMRL
To create a vibrant atmosphere of research in the area of ‘Material Science’ along with ‘Inter-Disciplinary Research’ through rational designing and innovation.
Our research at the interface of physics, chemistry, and materials science, is focused on the crystal chemistry, and crystal-structure — property relations in functional inorganic materials. The functions of interest to us include phosphors, magnetics, thermoelectrics, ferroics, photovoltaics, and redox-activity (for battery applications). A unifying theme in almost every aspect of our work is the compositional tuning of the properties of extended solids through solid solution; sometimes referred to (by us) as the game of x, as, for example, in La 2–x Sr x CuO 4.
Our research at the interface of Chemistry and Material Science is focused on
- The development of novel inorganic based ‘Luminescent Materials’ for the application in white Light Emitting Diodes (w-LEDs).
- The novel materials can be a single composition multi-centred phosphor or nUV/blue excitable blue, green, yellow and red emitting phosphor.
- The utilization of 'Green' solution based synthesis methodology is the main paradigm of our Research.
- A unifying theme of our research is the compositional tuning of the properties of extended solids through solid solution; sometimes referred to as the game of x and y, as, for example, in Sr 2(1-x-y/2) Eu 2x La y Si 1-y Al y O 4 .
- Development of ‘Advanced Luminescence Materials’ so called ‘Quantum Cutters’ and ‘Upconversion’ phosphors for the application in solar cell as ‘Spectral Converter’ for ‘Smart Photon Management’.
- Fabrication of phosphor-converted (pc)-LED using as-synthesized phosphors and application of the fabricated pc-LED as ‘light recipe’ in “vertical indoor farming for soil-less hydroponic” horticulture system.
- “Conduction Band (CB) engineering” mediated design and development of persistent phosphor for the fabrication of Glow Paint.
- Exploration of ‘Porous Materials’ based composites for
Dr. Sudeshna Ray
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (Physical Science)
- Ph.D , Department of Chemistry, IIT Kharagpur; 2004 - 2009
- Post Doctoral Fellow: National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan; Sep 2012 – July 2013
- Post Doctoral Fellow: Tohoku University, Japan; August 2010 – August 2012
- Post Doctoral Fellow: Universidad Polytechnica de Valencia & Universidad de La Laguna, Spain; Sep 09 – July 10
|Name of the Funding Agency
||Total Amount Sanctioned (In INR)
|Armament Research Board (DRDO)
P.I. - Dr. Sudeshna Ray
|Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India, Global Innovation & Technology Alliance (GITA) under the Indo-Taiwan S&T Cooperation Program
Co- P.I. - Dr. Sudeshna Ray
P.I. - Prof. Sameer Sapra, IIT Delhi
P.I. - Dr. Sudeshna Ray
As one of the members of External Investigators
List of Publications of Dr. Sudeshna Ray
- Tailoring the luminescent properties of Ca9La(PO4)5(SiO4)F 2 :1 mol% Eu 3+ phosphor via doping of chloride, molybdate, vanadate, sulfate and tungstate ions by Chaitali M. Mehare Yatish R. Parauha, Vibha Chopra, Sudeshna Ray, N. S. Dhoble, Chandan Ghanty and S. J. Dhoble Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics(accepted) [DOI 10.1007/s10854-020-02891-0]
- Enhanced photovoltaic performance of Y2O3:Ho3+/Yb3+ upconversion nanophosphor based DSSC and investigation of color tunability in Ho3+/Tm3+/Yb3+ tridoped Y2O3, P Tadge, R. S. Yadav, P. Vishwakarma, S. B. Rai, T. M. Chen, S. Sapra and S. Ray, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 153230.
- Upconversion and luminescence temperature sensitivity of Er3+ ions in yttrium oxysulfate nanophosphor, by Miguel Andr's Hernández-Rodríguez, Prachi Tadge, Antonio Diego Lozano-Gorrín, Ulises R. Rodríguez-Mendoza, Dr.; Sudeshna Ray, Victor Lavin, “Optical Materials”, 95 (2019) 109197.
- Synthesis, luminescence and application of BaKYSi2O7:Eu2+: A new blue-emitting Phosphor for near-UV White-light LED, by Sudeshna Ray, Prachi Tadge, Somrita Dutta, T. M. Chen, Govind Nair and S. J. Dhoble, “Ceramics International”, 44 (2018), 8334.
- Impact of Ga3+ on the phase transition and luminescence properties of substituted Sr2SiO4:Eu2+ phosphor synthesized from a highly homogeneous oxide precursor based on a novel water-soluble silicon compound, Sudeshna Ray, Prachi Tadge, Govind Nair and S. J. Dhoble, “Ceramics International”, 44 (2018) 5506.
- Size and shape-tailored hydrothermal synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline LaPO4:Eu3+ phosphor, Sudeshna Ray, Govind B. Nair, Prachi Tadge , Nidhi Malvia , Vinita Rajput, Vibha Chopra and S. J. Dhoble, “J. Lumin”, 194 (2018) 64.
- Analysis of growth kinetics and impact of NH3 on the morphology evolution of hexagonal-prism shaped Y4O(OH)9NO3/Y2O3 single crystals, S Ray, G. B. Nair, S. J. Dhoble, H Kato, M Kakihana and T. M. Chen, “Materials Research Bulletin”, 95 (2017) 597.
- Structural and spectroscopic characterizations of a new near-UV-converting cyan-emitting RbBaScSi3O9:Eu2+ phosphor with robust thermal performance” by Sudeshna Ray, Prachi Tadge, S.J. Dhoble, Govind B. Nair, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 713 (2017) 138.
- Pressure-induced amorphization of YVO4:Eu3+ nanoboxes" by Ruiz-Fuertes, Javier; Gomis,Oscar, Leon-Luis Sergio, Rademacher Nadine, Manjon Herrera Francisco, Ray Sudeshna and Victor Lavin., “Nanotechnology”, 27 (2015) 025701.
- Broadband, site selective and time resolved photoluminescence spectroscopic studies of finely size-modulated Y2O3:Eu3+ phosphors synthesized by a complex based precursor solution method, S Ray, F. Manjon and V. Lavin., "Current Applied Physics" 14 (2014) 72.
- KSrScSi2O7:Eu2+: A new near-ultraviolet blue-emitting phosphor with high efficiency and excellent thermal stability, Sudeshna Ray, Y-C Fang and Teng-Ming Chen. "RSC Advances" 3 (2013) 16387.
- Selective synthesis, characterization and photoluminescence studies of YPO4:Eu3+ nanorods and nanoparticles, S. Ray, A Banerjee and P Pramanik, “Materials Research Bulletin” 45 (2010) 870.
- High-pressure structural and lattice dynamical study of HgWO4, F. J. Manjón, J. López-Solano, and S. Ray. “Physical Review B” 82 (2010) 035212.
- High pressure structural phase transitions in CuWO4, J. Ruiz-Fuertes, D. Errandonea, R. Lacomba-Perales, A. Segura, J. González, F. Rodríguez, F. J. Manjón, S. Ray,“Physical Review B” 81 (2010) 224115.
- Shape-controlled synthesis, characterization and photoluminescence properties of YVO4:Dy3+/Eu3+ phosphor, S. Ray, A. Banerjee and P. Pramanik “Materials Science and Engineering B” 156 (2009) 10.
- A novel rock-like nanoarchitecture of YVO4:Eu3+ phosphor: selective synthesis, characterization and luminescence behavior, S. Ray, A Banerjee and P. Pramanik, “Journal of Material Science” 45 (2009) 259.
- Photoluminescence properties of nanocrystalline Tb3+ doped Y2O3 phosphor prepared through a novel synthetic route, S. Ray, A Patra and P Pramanik “Optical Materials” 30 (2007) 608.
- Optical properties of nanocrystalline Y2O3:Eu3+, S. Ray, P Pramaik, A Singha and A Roy,“Journal of Applied Physics” 97 (2005) 094312.
- High pressure theoretical and experimental study of HgWO4, J. López-Solano, P. Rodríguez-Hernández, A. Muñoz, D. Santamaría-P'rez, F.J. Manjón, S. Ray, O. Gomis, Mollar, V. Panchal and D. Errandone “High Pressure Research” 31(2011) 58.
- The 12th International Meeting on Information Display, Daegu, S Ray, K Toda, S Kamei, T. Ishigaki, K Uematsu, M Sato, H Kato, Korea 42.
||Name of Inventor
||Details of Achievement
||Dr. Sudeshna Ray
Dr. Prachi Tadge
| Filed Patent as Inventor entitled “A novel blue color emitting phosphor composition and a process for the preparation thereof” on 2.2.2019; Application No: 201821003809.
||Dr. Sudeshna Ray,
Dr. Prachi Tadge
Dr. Sameer Sapra
|Filed Patent as Inventor entitled “Upconversion nanophosphor based photoelectrode for dye sensitized solar cell and a method of making thereof” on 4.9.2019; Application No: 201921035656.
Collaborations OF AMRL
||Name of Collaborator
||National Chiao Tung University, (NCTU)
||Prof. Teng Ming Chen
| Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV)
||Prof. Francisco Javier Manjon Herrera
| Universidad de La Laguna (ULL)
||Prof. Victor Lavin Della Ventura
| IIT Delhi
||Prof. Sameer Sapra
| IISc Bangalore
||Prof. Abhishek Kumar Singh
| BARC, Mumbai
||Dr. D. K. Koul
||Prof. S. B. Rai
|RTM Nagpur Univ.
|| Prof. Sanjay Dhoble
| Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
|| Prof. C. K. Jayasankar
Research Group in Taiwan
AMRL Visit to Vietnam